Friday, February 19, 2010

Dr.Pedro Greer--an inspiration for physicans

I went to a conference in which Dr. Greer spoke at my university. He is an amazing person with amazing stories to tell. As an intern Dr. Greer was exposed to the homeless in Miami and since then he has setup free hospitals and free clinics for the homeless, migrant workers and undeserved in Miami and surrounding areas. He setup his first one as an intern 27 years ago. The conference was mainly for current and future physicians.  He implored the next generation of physicians to aspire to make the lives of everyone in society better in regards to accessibility and treatment for healthcare. Words cannot describe how inspirational he was, I was in tears at the end of his speech merely from the love, compassion, heart and soul his puts into his life and his practice of medicine for everyone!

He has a book published, I need to google him and find it because he didn't plug it, but he read alittle bit from it.

ETA: Found it!
His book is called Waking Up In America: How One Doctor Brings Hope To Those Who Need It Most and its available on amazon.com. I'm going to check and see if my local library has a copy.

Afterwards, I saw a friend that's a first year (MS1) at the local medical school that I haven't see in awhile, we had a great catch up talk and she is another person that just made me feel more confident about applying this time around.  Its great when people express support, advice and compliments when unprompted, it just makes it that much more special.


Look at that three posts in a day, who knows when THAT is gonna happen again.

3 comments:

Absolutely, Positively Josie said...

yay for positivity! hoping you find that book.

Anonymous said...

Thought I would check out your blog. While I'm not writing about it in mine, I'm working on losing weight too... joining the guard after MS1. :) I sincerely wish you the best of luck... remember, applying to med school is all about being yourself!

Kemi said...

Hey there. Good luck to you as well, joining the guard sounds great!

Thanks for the advice and checking me out here, I started blogging about it because I get to hold myself accountable AND i have written proof! LOL

Post a Comment